'With the Grain', how does that relate to Davie's book, 'TH and British
Poetry'?
A few weeks ago I acquired an ex-library copy of

The Poet in the Imaginary Museum

Essays of Two Decades

edited [with a very substantial introduction, I must say] by Barry Alpert

(Carcanet, Manchester, 1977).

Davie's essay 'Hardy's Virgilian Purples' (1972) has a postscript:

'One thing that excited me in this investigation was the proof it seemed to
give, that Hardy at his best proceeded in a way not wholly different from
Pound's way, or Joyce's, or (I could have added) Eliot's. But in the years
since, the sudden spate of books and essays about Hardy's poetry seems for
the most part still impelled by a wish to prove that Hardy provides a viable
insular alternative to the international 'modern movement'. I am quite out
of sympathy with that sort of endeavour.'

[Was Davie a VC or just an injudicious supporter of a VC who suffered in
those worrisome campus times?]