There's a rather lovely essay by James Meek on the Guardian website at the
moment, called
From albedo to zugunruhe. Put me in mind of Orwell's essay Politics and the
English Language, since it addresses the problem of expressing clarity and
character in the written word.

Standfirst reads:

How often do you bother looking up an unfamiliar word? Should writers make
us reach for our dictionaries? Four years ago, James Meek vowed to learn
every alien word he encountered, and discovered poetry in obscurity

And the link: < http://books.guardian.co.uk/review/story/0,,2227650,00.html

It's funny to see some terms that seem to me familiar and normal
(geology/geography terms I learnt at school) being found exotic and rare.