Ah, but then he wrote Under Briggflatts, in which he found his way back
to the moderns, & especially Basil Bunting as exemplar.

Doug
On 20-Dec-07, at 2:17 PM, Roger Day wrote:

> Donald Davie, writing in With The Grain, was quite taken with Hardy.
> Saw him as a precursor to modern _English_ poetry - that's England in
> the country, not the language - making a "direct line" between Hardy
> and, wait for it, Phil "The Glum"[1] Larkin, skipping out all that
> messy, and foreign, modernism stuff. Mind you, what happens to those
> WW1 shirkers?  He's not the first or the last to try and do so. If you
> skip Pound or Eliot or even Thomas and Owen, then you can get back to
> being pastoral and religious and provincial, buttered scones for tea,
> the Home Service and all that. Mind you, Davie had an axe to grind -
> he lost his Vice Chancellorship of some steel-and-glass uni after
> failing to control a lock-out in the 60s.
>
> Anyway, With the Grain is an interesting read nonetheless. Even if I
> can't remember much about it bar the insularity.
>
> Roger
>
> [1] That's a Home Service joke BTW.
>
> --
> My Stuff: http://www.badstep.net/
> "And we're slow to acknowledge the knots on the laces
> heart it races"
> Architecture in Helsinki

Douglas Barbour
11655 - 72 Avenue NW
Edmonton  Ab  T6G 0B9
(780) 436 3320
http://www.ualberta.ca/~dbarbour/

Latest book: Continuations (with Sheila E Murphy)
http://www.uap.ualberta.ca/UAP.asp?LID=41&bookID=664

Oh, goddamnit, we forgot the silent prayer.

	Dwight D, Eisenhower
	[at a cabinet meeting]