Brenda

I've seen this from both sides - I was contracted by a small North West NHS
Hospital Trust to deal with major OH service issues and after restoring the
service the Trust decided that the long term best option for it was
outsource. (Quite a few NHS Trusts in England now have commercial OH
provision.)

I'm now working with Cheshire who planned to outsource and went as far as
seeing organisations after they'd tendered but have elected (for now) to
keep it insourced.

In practice it makes little difference - a good well-led service is exactly
that, irrespective of whoever owns it. There are pros and cons for in and
out source - one big pro is that for the provider it is core business and
they take OH very seriously, for the NHS it is rarely seen as core.

Both Salus and (OHSAS?) Fife - and probably others - operate as commercial
enterpises despite being NHS. So there's not much difference.

So far Atos, Capita, Team Prevent and others are in the NHS OH.

Who are in the frame and which Board/Trust are you? Happy to provide
detailed tips if you can share more.

Helen

Helen Kirk

Programme Manager