Dear list

It is getting towards the end of the year - and before everyone
disappears for christmas activities CRUMB would like to send all members
on the list, artists, cultural producers, curators, theorists best
wishes. . .

We would also like to send out a short exciting announcement before the
turn:
In the spring 2008 New York based media theorist Caitlin Jones will join
CRUMB for research and an event as part of The Inspiring
Internationalists programme.
http://inspiringinternationalists.wordpress.com/. Caitlin’s focus will
be on preservation issues in relation to electronic and ephemeral
artworks. Working closely with the CRUMB team a workshop (which is also
part of the AV festival http://www.avfest.co.uk/) led by Caitlin invites
institutions as well as individual cultural producers to converse about
practicalities, tools and policies that emerge with the fast increasing
number of ‘storage systems’. Questions around open archives, circulation
systems, and the maintenance of data and experiences, might be starting
points for an interesting discussion. How does contemporary work, that
describes a Moment, if you like, re-contextualise former attempts of the
Ephemeral in art? Do recent notions such as enactment or re-enactment do
something different to the work and its audience? Does the role of the
archivist get blurred considering interdisciplinary practices that media
art brings along?

And for those of you who followed up or contributed to the discussion on
the iDC list the idea of shelf live could taken up more specifically in
relation to curatorial practices?!
(iDC -- mailing list of the Institute for Distributed Creativity;
distributedcreativity.org.

Hopefully we will inspire lots of different practitioners to get an
exciting ‘document’ together or a fluid archive. . .

Save the date!!!
Caitlin Jones workshop, Wedn 5 March 2008, 2-5pm, venue: Dance City,
Newcastle.
Attendance is by application, as we have a limited number of spaces,
please reply to my if you want to book. [log in to unmask]

More details to follow in the new year******

All the best
Verina

CRUMB