On Tue, 4 Dec 2007 01:37:23 -0000, Peter Claughton
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>On Tue, December 4, 2007 12:21 am, Geoff Treseder wrote:
>> In message <031201c77e5b$d0172550$ae8d2552@moorestn01>, Mike Moore
>> <[log in to unmask]> writes
>>
>>> Cornish Cases: Essays in Eighteenth and Nineteenth Century
>>
>> I found the work very accessible and an enjoyable read, a good account
>> of the way the tribute system operated,
>>
>> It didn't really offer any explanation as to why the tribute payment
>> method was favoured over tutwork for most stoping activity. I think it
>> would be a mistake to think that mine management were trying to
encourage
>> entrepreneurial flair in the working classes.
>
>Geoff is right about the book. I commented earlier, based on my knowledge
>of Rule's work, and having now read most of the book I can confirm that it
>is an excellent book.
>
>Rule does stress that it was the miner's preference to use the tribute
>system, considering it of greater status than working on tutwork, although
>the overall earnings were only fractionally greater and, in the short
>term, far more unpredictable. He emphasises the speculative nature of
>tribute and the incentive provided by the chance of hitting much richer
>ore than bargained for.
>
>The emphasise today is on tin mining but the tribute system was brought to
>the state it was in the mid to late 19th century by it earlier use in the
>copper mining which dominated the mining industry in Cornwall in the 18th
>century. I suspect there was greater chance of hitting rich ore in the
>shallower copper workings than in deep tin mining. But still the
>management must have considered it advantageous to continue the system
>despite the logistical problems of identifying and separately dressing the
>produce from each of the tribute pares With advances in bulk haulage and
>processing that would become more problematic and eventually lead to the
>abandonment of the system.
>

>> John Rule says that Tributing had been introduced to other mining areas
>> by Cornish Captains, it would be interesting to learn more of the
>> circumstances when it was used.
>
>It was certainly used in lead mining in mid-Wales but was not universal.
>As I recall, and I have not got the detail to hand at the moment, the
>system used at Llanfyrnach in Pembrokeshire (south-west Wales) was a form
>of tutwork for both ore extraction and deadwork.
>
>Peter
>
>Dr Peter Claughton,
>Blaenpant Morfil, nr. Rosebush, Clynderwen, Pembrokeshire, Wales  SA66
7RE.
>Tel. +44 (0)1437 532578; Fax. +44 (0)1437 532921; Mobile +44 (0)7831
427599

>Research Fellow - School of Geography, Archaeology and Earth Resources
>
>Hon. University Fellow - School of Humanities and Social Sciences
>
>Office address - Archaeology, University of Exeter, Laver Building, North
>Park Road, EXETER,  EX4 4QE   Tel: 01392 263709
>
>E-mail:  [log in to unmask]

> [...]

The statement above regarding separate dressing of a tributers' ore was
certainly not the case in tin mining, where payment was based on a sample
taken of the tributer's stuff before dressing, removing the necessity to
dress the ore seperately. I am not sure to what extent this was the case
regarding tin, lead etc.

Alasdair Neill.