On Tue, December 4, 2007 12:21 am, Geoff Treseder wrote:
> In message <031201c77e5b$d0172550$ae8d2552@moorestn01>, Mike Moore
> <[log in to unmask]> writes
>
>> Cornish Cases: Essays in Eighteenth and Nineteenth Century
>
> I found the work very accessible and an enjoyable read, a good account
> of the way the tribute system operated,
>
> It didn't really offer any explanation as to why the tribute payment
> method was favoured over tutwork for most stoping activity. I think it
> would be a mistake to think that mine management were trying to encourage
> entrepreneurial flair in the working classes.

Geoff is right about the book. I commented earlier, based on my knowledge
of Rule's work, and having now read most of the book I can confirm that it
is an excellent book.

Rule does stress that it was the miner's preference to use the tribute
system, considering it of greater status than working on tutwork, although
the overall earnings were only fractionally greater and, in the short
term, far more unpredictable. He emphasises the speculative nature of
tribute and the incentive provided by the chance of hitting much richer
ore than bargained for.

The emphasise today is on tin mining but the tribute system was brought to
the state it was in the mid to late 19th century by it earlier use in the
copper mining which dominated the mining industry in Cornwall in the 18th
century. I suspect there was greater chance of hitting rich ore in the
shallower copper workings than in deep tin mining. But still the
management must have considered it advantageous to continue the system
despite the logistical problems of identifying and separately dressing the
produce from each of the tribute pares With advances in bulk haulage and
processing that would become more problematic and eventually lead to the
abandonment of the system.

> John Rule says that Tributing had been introduced to other mining areas
> by Cornish Captains, it would be interesting to learn more of the
> circumstances when it was used.

It was certainly used in lead mining in mid-Wales but was not universal.
As I recall, and I have not got the detail to hand at the moment, the
system used at Llanfyrnach in Pembrokeshire (south-west Wales) was a form
of tutwork for both ore extraction and deadwork.

Peter

Dr Peter Claughton,
Blaenpant Morfil, nr. Rosebush, Clynderwen, Pembrokeshire, Wales  SA66 7RE.
Tel. +44 (0)1437 532578; Fax. +44 (0)1437 532921; Mobile +44 (0)7831 427599

Research Fellow - School of Geography, Archaeology and Earth Resources

Hon. University Fellow - School of Humanities and Social Sciences

Office address - Archaeology, University of Exeter, Laver Building, North
Park Road, EXETER,  EX4 4QE   Tel: 01392 263709

E-mail:  [log in to unmask]

Co-owner - mining-history e-mail discussion list.
See http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/files/mining-history/  for details.

Mining History Pages - http://www.exeter.ac.uk/~pfclaugh/mhinf/