From: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">Ann Ball
To: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]
Sent: Sunday, December 16, 2007 1:29 AM
Subject: Re: [M-R] Will the Real Saint Joseph Please Stand Up

 I noticed this sentence in the first post about St. Joseph:

" Except rather than buy the
> special Joseph figurine, she just dug out the nativity set and buried
> that Joseph (I think she knew it wasn't the same one but figured a
> Saint is a Saint.)"

By all means, it IS the same one -- the same saint Joseph anyway; the ones sold by realtors are often the "worker" ones, while the manger scene figurine would be just the "generic" one but still the same Joseph.

Back when I wrote my first book on sacramentals, I had sent out a query asking about customs and mentioning I didn't want any superstitious stuff.  One of my respondents, a priest,  jumped all over me -- and rightly so. He pointed out that superstition and popular piety depended on the faith and intent of the person involved so it was difficult to judge between superstition and piety.  In charity, it is best to reserve judgement on a lot of things.  Also, in 2001, the Congregation for Divine Worship and the Discipline of the Sacraments issued a directory on popular piety and the liturgy which you may want to read.