From: Madeleine Gray <[log in to unmask]>

> I asked my friendly neighbourhood stone conservationist (a member of the
Welsh Stone Forum) specifically about this question of absorption of paint by
stone - here is what he says

>...paint applied to the grain end i.e. the face that would normally appear in
a built stone wall...

?

end grain would be visible only exceptionally in any "normal" stone wall --the
stones would have been laid with the grain running horizontal, so the end
grain would only have appeared at corners.

round columns made up of drums would also have been laid with the grain
horizontal, so parts of the "end grain" would have been exposed more or less
all the way round the drum.

octagonal columns made up of drums would have their full end grain exposed on
two faces, gradually exposed on four faces and not exposed at all on two
faces.

"en delit" columns/colonnettes (which are usually the purely decorative ones,
somewhat detached from the wall) were laid with the grain vertical, so their
end grain would not have been visible at all, being covered by bases on one
end and capitals on the other.

>Given that many of the medieval paints used some mineral base as well as
plant extract they were probably bright and durable.  Of course once lead
started to appear in paints

?

was lead used in middlevil paints?

Hank?

> A final thought would be that as Churches are built to be light and sun is
purposely directed into them, then fading of colour would occur very quickly
given the base from which it is extracted.'

?

sounds like he's thinking of "Churches" in England after they were redeocrated
by Cromwell's boys and their glass was removed, to let in more "light and sun"
unmodulated by the dense color of the glass.

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]