The article of which you speak is extremely interesting.  I've read and re-read it several times and find Trachtenberg's theories very intriquing.  He does an
admirable job of supporting his thesis with visual records from various locales, and even suggests (if I remember correctly) that Gothic/Opus Francigenum is
an anti-Classical irruption.  My only reservation is that he does not offer many sources contemporary of the period that suggest the patrons and builders were
consciously rejecting the Romanesque, or were consciously anti-Classical.

In fact, I'm going to go get my copy of that issue and start reading it again to refresh my memory on the subject - this is something I would very much like to
discuss further!

Thanks

George

On Fri, 21 Dec 2007 05:45:07 GMT, Marjorie Greene wrote:

>medieval-religion: Scholarly discussions of medieval religion and culture

>I queried a friend on the medieval art list about the terms for various types of architecture and this is what she said:
>"For me, the best pronouncement on the terms Romanesque and Gothic comes from Trachtenberg in his articles on "medieval modernism." I just found
them, very late in my teaching career I'm afraid!, during another listserv discussion of works people have found seminal. It was the recommendation of Areli
Marina (Architecture, UIUC). Here's the article she submitted that convinced me Romanesque is a very apt term but Gothic should be replaced (and which
will figure in my upcoming course):
>Trachtenberg, Marvin. "Suger's Miracles, Branner's Bourges: Reflections on "Gothic Architecture" as Medieval Modernism." Gesta 39, no. 2 (2000): 183-
205."
>I don't know what term is suggested to replace "Gothic." Guess I'll have to check out Gesta 39. In Suger's time, "Gothic" was simply "opus francigenum."
I'd call it "ogival," or something like that although "Gothic" is so entrenched, it would be difficult to root it out, I suspect. If a word works, why bother?
>MG
>All of your favorite as seen on tv products are just a click away!
>http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL2111/fc/Ioyw6iiftHT9Jzo7lvTFEc0mxwRCmzC6mHdoV3fJtAjRcy8WXQPVWj/

>To join the list, send the message: join medieval-religion YOUR NAME
>to: [log in to unmask]
>To send a message to the list, address it to:
>To leave the list, send the message: leave medieval-religion
>to: [log in to unmask]
>In order to report problems or to contact the list's owners, write to:
>For further information, visit our web site:
>http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/medieval-religion.html

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]