medieval-religion: Scholarly discussions of medieval religion and culture Micheal Baxandall's "Limewood Sculptors of Renaissance Germany" discusses the evolution of polychromy and unpainted woodwork fairly extensively, although from what I recall he concentrates on altarpieces and freestanding sculpture. Bruce Cole also touches on the subject of polychromed stonework and woodwork in his "The Renaissance Artist at Work" but I'm don't recall that he addresses your specific inquiry except in passing.

This is a particularly interesting question since I am currently working with a parish that has a highly polychromed font. Theirs is plaster and early 20th C, Gothic Revival with a Victorian edge, but it does reflect an older Medieval tradition I would like to help them appreciate.

George R. Hoelzeman

--Original Message Text---
From: Gerallt Nash
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2007 11:31:43 -0000

------_=_NextPart_001_01C83E44.E6EF2DE3

Further to the recent discussion about painted statues, walls etc., what
evidence is there for carved woodwork being painted in 15th c/16th c
churches? I am thinking particularly of carved items such as font
covers (and choir stalls) rather than rood screens. And what about the
[stone] fonts themselves and piscinae? I note the earlier comment about
gesso being found on a stone font, - but were painted fonts (and covers)
commonplace?=20

Gerallt D. Nash