Christopher Crockett wrote:

> well, say, for instance, in the case of the "church of Thomas of
> Bayeux" which you mentioned earlier.
>
> in that instance, how is it known that that treatment was *the
> original* wall covering?

Well, I'm sure if there had been any doubts, they would have been
articulated in the excavator's report:

D. Phillips, Excavations at York Minster, Volume II: The Cathedral of
Archbishop Thomas of Bayeux (Royal Commission on the Historical Monuments of
England, 1985)

Chapter 6 is entitled "The Appearance of the Cathedral"

John Briggs

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]