I'll have to read Wolf.  Certainly, the need to establish identity is significant particularly when "boundaries" between similar but potentially contentious
cultural/cultic groups intermingle (or seek to segregate).  Hans Belting's "Likeness and Presence" addresses this issue to some extent when he talks about
how images of saints and Mary were treated during the Counter-Reformation.

Very interesting dynamic, for sure.

George

On Tue, 11 Dec 2007 13:12:04 -0500, Tom Izbicki wrote:

>medieval-religion: Scholarly discussions of medieval religion and culture

>George,
>I'm unsure how conscious the motivation would be, but I formed that
>hypothesis reading Wolf's book on the martyrs.
>Tom Izbicki

>George R. Hoelzeman wrote:

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]