medieval-religion: Scholarly discussions of medieval religion and culture Re: [M-R] Oil
Abbo of St-Germain has an interesting reference to the issue in his account of the Viking siege of Paris  in the 880s.

He writes of the attackers trying to undermine the walls: "Some of them wanted to undermine the foot of the wall with iron picks, but he [the leader of the defense] drove them back with hot oil, wax, and fish.  This mixture, liquefied in a blazing furnace, burned the hair of the Danes and stuck to their heads.(Sorry I don't have the original Latin; I translated the account years ago for class use.)

How much to trust monastic accounts of medieval military ventures is another question.  But Abbo was apparently in Paris at the time of the siege.

Phyllis

Hi

I've been an interested observer here for a while and this is one of the few questions I can contribute to.  The short answer is that are no medieval references to boiling oil being used in castle sieges and like many medieval 'facts' this one appears to be a Victorian invention.  As others have pointed out both oil and fuel are far too valuable to waste.

Machicolations are projecting stone parapets on the outside of a castle walls, the name derives from the old French 'mache-col' or broken neck and it is generally assumed they were used to drop stones on attackers to achieve the desired 'mache-col' effect.  Prior to the adoption of machicolations, wooden hoardings were built overhanging the outer castle walls and these fulfilled a similar, if more temporary, purpose.

Above gate passages one often finds murder holes, sometimes also called machicolations in error.  These were also used for depositing stones, crossbow quarrels and spears on any attackers foolish or brave enough to be in the gate passage.  If any liquid was going to be poured through these holes it would more likely be plain, cold water.

The safest way to attack a castle gatehouse is to set fire to anything wooden such as the gates, drawbridge etc and then retire to a safe distance while the fire does its job.  The best way to prevent this is simply to pour water on it and it is probably this practice which gave rise to all the boiling oil, water and sand stories.

Hope this helps

Mike

----- Original Message ----- From: "Diana Wright" <[log in to unmask]>