Dear colleagues,

The following conference may be of interest to you.

Moving Image Archiving and the Academy

A MeCCSA Practice Section Conference
Saturday, 15 March 2008, University of Leeds

Call for Papers

Confirmed keynote speakers:		Professor Nicholas Pronay
(University of Leeds)
					Professor Charles Barr (Washington
University in St. Louis)

For over three decades, British universities have played a pivotal role in
helping to preserve and curate our audiovisual heritage, as well as
researching the cultural and historical significance of archival moving
images.  From the establishment of the Slade Film History Register in 1969
and the East Anglian Film Archive in 1976, the higher education sector has
supported and nurtured the archives themselves.  Pioneering journals and
monograph series which pioneered the interpretation of film and television
as cultural form and primary historical evidence, notably Historical
Journal of Film, Radio and Television and Routledge’s Cinema and Society
series, have their roots in British universities.  Currently the regional
film archive movement effectively depends on the support of British HEIs
for its survival (five of the regional film archives are situated within
universities), and most of the important recent research and curation
projects involving national collections have taken place through
partnerships between archives and universities using HE-related funding
streams; the Mitchell and Kenyon project being a prime example.

Following on from MeCCSA’s Future of Screen Heritage symposium held in
September, we should now reassess the nature of the institutional and
intellectual links which exist between our film archives and our
universities, and to explore how they might develop and strengthen.  The
conference is intended to explore the requirements of the sector, including
what requires funding now and in the future, rather than strategies for
achieving such funding.

We therefore invite proposals for papers or presentations of 15 minutes in
this area.  Possible topics include, but are not limited to:

•	The ways in which archival moving images are used in HE research
and teaching;
•	Scholarship related to the theory and practice of moving image
preservation and restoration;
•	The impact of new technologies on archival practice and policy;
•	The role of HE institutions in training moving image archivists;
•	Case studies exploring the aims, practices and development of
moving image archives situated within HEIs;
•	Academics and public policy related to archival practice, e.g.
copyright and legal deposit.

Proposals for complete panels (of up to 90 minutes) are welcome, though we
reserve the right to split panel proposals and accept individual papers
from them.

Please submit abstracts of up to 300 words to:

Dr. Leo Enticknap
Institute of Communications Studies
Houldsworth Building, 3rd Floor
University of Leeds
Leeds
LS2 9JT
United Kingdom
Tel. +44 (0) 113 343 5853
Fax. +44 (0) 113 343 5808
Email: [log in to unmask]

Please indicate in your submission if you have any special audio-visual
requirements.

Deadline for Submissions: Monday 7 January 2007

Supported by the Media, Communications and Cultural Studies Association,
Practice Section (MeCCSA Practice); and by the British Universities Film
and Video Council (BUFVC).