From: Alan Fricker [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 14 December 2007 09:14
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Reimbursement of professional membership fees[Scanned]

Hi Mike,

Your comment about being able to resume chartered status without providing further evidence could just as easily apply to someone who had maintained CILIP membership throughout their career.

One thing that did change during the five years that you were away was the introduction of revalidation.  At present this is not mandatory but it does provide a means for people to prove the ongoing updating of their chartered status.  It is also a route to Fellowship if that sort of thing floats your boat.

http://www.cilip.org.uk/qualificationschartership/FrameworkofQualifications/revalidation/

There was a view that revalidation should be mandatory but this was not accepted by the majority of members.

I am sorry to hear about your experience around potential redundancy.  Speaking with my HLG hat on we are not always entirely happy with the service received from the Membership Support Unit at CILIP.  I raised it at Council on Wednesday and as a committee we have been in regular communication with them over a range of issues.

HLG representatives are pressing for CILIP to include sectors beyond Public Libraries in the deprofessionalisation work but it would be untrue to say that they are not the focus at present.  It bears saying as usual that CILIP is not a trade union.

It is a shame you feel that money spent on CILIP membership is wasted.  I know I get a lot out of my membership and participation in CILIP and HLG CILIP activities (oh and UKEIG who I have as a second group) (oh and London Branch who organise an interesting range of evening meetings with sausage and chips thrown in).

Cheers

Alan

Alan Fricker
Knowledge & Library Service Manager