Is Open Access the answer?
Absolutely.  I'm amazed that both the Americans and the Wellcome Trust have made this compulsory and the NHS hasn't.  Must be some beefy politics happening somewhere.  And we do of course still want things to be published in places we can find them, and indexed by the databases - so it's good NLM are involved.

Sarah
-----Original Message-----
From: Andrew Clegg [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 14 December 2007 11:30
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Is Open Access the answer?

There is quite a good moral argument that the public shouldn’t have to pay to see the results of research that they’ve already paid for through taxes.

And while Joe Public may be able to find library copies of articles in closed-source journals, with enough patience and legwork, there’s a ‘cost’ associated with all that time and effort that is in a different league to the few seconds of clicking and typing necessary to find an open-access article.

This is one area where the Americans are ahead of us – there, you are legally obligated to make public-funded papers available for free. While self-archiving is one solution, it’s a bit of a ‘hack’ compared to publishing in a channel that’s already free, and whether you can even get away with it or not depends on the journal you’re dealing with.

Andrew.