Hi,

Probably the easiest and most accurate way to do this all is just to
run a second-level FE cross-run within-subject analysis and include
the contrasts (eg A vs C) at that level - this will then generate the
optimal COPEs and VARCOPEs for you, easily extracted with Featquery.

Cheers, Steve.

On 12 Dec 2007, at 22:50, Michelle Voss wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I'm trying to determine whether it's valid to create an effect size
> of sorts that can compare %signal change within an ROI for separate
> conditions of separate block designs.  For example, say I have an
> ROI and I want to examine the degree to which it responds greater
> for a specific condition compared to another condition, but the
> conditions are in separate runs (but same session).  E.g., you for
> one fMRI session a blocked run with blocks for stim types A and B,
> and another for stim types C and D, and post hoc you want to compare
> response within an ROI for stims A and C.
>
> I've run featquery for copeA and copeC to extract the mean percent
> signal change for these conditions compared to baseline within the
> ROI.  If I want to normalize this difference by a variance term,
> could the correct variance term be given by sqrt(average of varcopeA
> and varcopeC).  doing the latter by running featquery just as before
> but 1) not converting to %signal change and 2) extracting the mean
> varcope within the ROI instead of mean cope.  from this i have the
> mean varcopeA and mean varcope C within the ROI, from which I can
> take the average, and the sqrt of this average to have a pooled
> standard deviation as a variance term to be used something like:
>
> within an ROI:
>
> (mean %signal change stim A - mean %signal change stim C)/pooled
> standard deviation
>
> but, is this the right variance term for what i want to do here?
> the reason i'm interested in the variance term is because i'm
> comparing two groups with potentially different variances, so i want
> to normalize the difference in response by a variance term..
>

> best,
> Michelle

+44 (0) 1865 222726  (fax 222717)