Many apologies for cross-posting this message.

The 48th European Regional Science Association Congress takes place in Liverpool during August 27th and 31st.  The congress is dedicated to 'Culture, Cohesion and Competitiveness: Regional Perspectives' and further information can be obtained at www.liverpool.ac.uk/ersa2008/

One theme to be explored at the Congress is Regional Analysis of Enterprise Formation, Closure and Survival.  This is a call for abstracts for this theme.

The aim of this session is to continue the work of scholars in the field of enterprise and regional economic development.  The 1984 special issue of Regional Studies marked a particular point in the development of this research, one that has been repeated on a number of occasions since.  However, there is still a degree of ambiguity in the extent to which we understand how enterprise formation has a positive effect on economic development.  Causal effects on employment levels are often investigated although there continues to be debate around how and when such impact occurs.  Increasingly, attempts are being made to measure other variables, particularly technology and knowledge and how these support enterprise survival and employment growth.

This session seeks to encourage more of this work and also to provide a focus for enterprise closure and survival.  These are equally important in terms of effect on economic development and require further investigation.  For example work in the following areas would be highly relevant:

In addition, we would welcome work that considered opportunities and limitations to present data sources and how methods of analysis can be improved.  Full papers that would consider these matters or are in a related field would be welcome.

To submit an abstract for this session simply follow the link on the main website www.liverpool.ac.uk/ersa2008/   We will accept abstracts for this session up to Friday January 25th 2008 - although if you are interested and are unable to meet this deadline please contact the coordinator of this session - details provided below.  Notification of acceptance of abstracts will be sent to authors by February 29th and the deadline for full paper submission is April 30th 2008.

We are currently exploring ways to disseminate papers of good quality through a reputable academic journal.

For further information or to discuss the contribution you wish to make to this session contact Alan Southern at the University of Liverpool on [log in to unmask] or telephone +44(0)151 795 3820

Alan Southern