Stuart,
Check out the latest issue of ACME.  There is a special issue on Participatory research ethics, including a number of papers dealing with funding 'activist' research.

Cheers,
Lawrence

ACME: An International E-Journal for Critical Geographies

Volume 6, Issue 3, 2007
http://www.acme-journal.org/Volume6-3.htm

Special Thematic Issue: Participatory Ethics

Guest Edited by Caitlin Cahill, Farhana Sultana & Rachel Pain

Contents:

Participatory Ethics: Politics, Practices, Institutions
304
Caitlin Cahill, Farhana Sultana and Rachel Pain

Bureacratizing Ethics: Institutional Review Boards and Participatory Research
319
Deborah Martin

Negotiating Participatory Ethics in the Midst of Institutional Ethics
329
Sarah Elwood

Silenced for Their Own Protection: How the IRB Marginalizes those it Feigns to Protect
339
Matt Bradley

Codes, Committees and Other Such Conundrums!
350
Kye Askins

Repositioning Ethical Commitments: Participatory Action Research as a Relational Praxis of Social Change
360
Caitlin Cahill

Reflexivity, Positionality and Participatory Ethics: Negotiating Fieldwork Dilemmas in International Research
374
Farhana Sultana

Positionalities and Knowledge: Negotiating Ethics in Practice
386
Peter Hopkins

Ethics, Hegemonic Whiteness, and the Contested Imagination of  ‘Aboriginal Community’ in Social Science Research in Canada
395
Lawrence Berg, Mike Evans, Duncan Fuller and The Okanagan Urban Aboriginal Health Research Collective

Formality and Friendship: Research Ethics Review and Participatory Action Research
411
Megan K. Blake

--
Lawrence D. Berg, D.Phil.
Canada Research Chair

Community, Culture and Global Studies
University of British Columbia
3333 University Way
Kelowna, BC, Canada, V1V 1V7
Voice: +1 250.807.9392, Fax: +1 250.807.8001
Email: [log in to unmask]
Skype: lawrenceberg
WEB: http://www.chrdi.org/ldb/index.html

Editor:
ACME: An International E-Journal for Critical Geographies
http://www.acme-journal.org

Co-Leader: BC Disabilities Health Research Network
http://www.dhrn.ca