From: The UK Community Psychology Discussion List [mailto:[log in to unmask] ] On Behalf Of David Fryer
Sent: 04 December 2007 22:31
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [COMMUNITYPSYCHUK] "I doubt if press releases will achieve much, even if they get taken up"

Dear David,

Just to pick up on your comment "I doubt if press releases will achieve much, even if they get taken up"

I agree of course that policies, procedures and practices which create and maintain oppression are powerfully entrenched and vigorously defended. Poverty will not disappear because of a UK CP press release nor will those who make vast amounts of money through Seroxat be quaking in their boots after the UK CP statement in support of SUG (though I think the way big pharma sometimes vigorously and sustainedly goes for individuals who critique them suggests that such critique is threatening to their interests at least to some extent). However, I think press releases and similar statements may nevertheless have other worthwhile outcomes.

The now defunct ENCP (European Network of Community Psychology) was not a particularly politically active or progressive organisation and the newer ECPA (European Community Psychology Association) showed little sigh of that either. At the recent ECPA meeting in Seville, Ilana Mountian, Paul Duckett and I discussed the appeal that had been circulated by Art Veno for support for Australian psychologists lobbying for the APS to take a strong stand against the complicity of psychologists in torture and moved a motion at the final plenary that the meeting send a message of support to Art. After a brief discussion there was an unanimous collective decision to send the message of support from ECPA. Immediately after the decision there was a round of applause. I believe that this was more than an act of self congratulation but that engaging collectively in critical reflection and to act in collective solidarity was enormously valuable in many ways to those who did so. In this case Art Veno has also said that he believes the statement was valuable to colleagues in Australia in achieving a progressive outcome. I do not want to overstate this. The statement was not particularly radical, the effect was no doubt miniscule both locally and distally etc but collective resistance even in such small ways is important in itself and prefigures what is possible when we act critically and collectively and makes that more likely in my view.

I write a short regular column for "The Community Psychologist" a sort of newsletter for SCRA (Div 27 of the APA) about community psychology in Europe. This goes to all SCRA members worldwide. Because I think such statements have some value I included in my recent piece reference to both the UK CP poverty statement and the ECPA torture statement:.

"As community and critical psychologists we believe that psychologists have a fundamental responsibility to join with others to end both poverty and societal inequality independent of absolute wealth, which we believe are personally, collectively and socially destructive.

    We believe mainstream psychology to be complicit with the prevailing psychologically toxic neo-liberal economic order and believe psychology has allowed itself to be used to hide systemic effects of poverty and inequality and instead position poverty as a consequence of individual psychological dysfunction.

    We call for the radical transformation of psychology so that it has the resources necessary to expose the personally, collectively and socially destructive effects of poverty and inequality and the proactive deployment, with allies, of this transformed psychology to end poverty and societal inequality and the exploitation, exclusion, oppression, distress and illness which result from them."

"Those present at the final plenary session of the II European Community Psychology Association International Seminar (" Integrating new migrants in the New Europe: A Challenge for Community Psychology") held in Seville, Spain 19-21 September 2007 considered the widely circulated request by eminent community psychologist Professor Art Veno for international support in his attempts to ensure that the involvement of psychologists in the practice of torture is condemned by the Australian Psychological Society. Those present at the final plenary session of the II European Community Psychology Association International Seminar in Seville unanimously voted to send a message of support from the meeting to Professor Veno, his colleagues and all those condemning the involvement of psychologists in the practice of torture".

Of course if we did no more than talk and reach collective decisions on such issues and disseminate them we would be doing something perhaps a very little something but that is an argument for doing more, not less

David