From: CCP4 bulletin board on behalf of Rongjin Guan
Sent: Fri 12/21/2007 2:09 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [ccp4bb] detergent concentration used for membrane protein purification

Dear All

sorry for a non-ccp4 related question.

what is the typical concentration of detergents used in membrane protein purification?
Is it usually within 1-10 times of CMC?

My collaborator was using 10% DDM in purifying a membrane protein. I suggested
to reduce it and now he is working with 2% DDM. He said lower than that the protein
is not soluble.

so another question is, can we purify the membrane protein first at high concentration
of one detergent (say, 2% DDM), and then screen different detergents later to find a
better one? Or it is better to screen the detergents first before purification?

any suggestions will be appreciated.

Have a nice holiday!

Rongjin Guan