Thank you for your respones. I managed to fix the problem as follows:

Everytime I read in my dictionary from ccp4i Sketcher I got the "New ligand..." error and Refmac would write out a new .cif file. When I used the .cif file written by Refmac, refinement worked. I compared my Sketcher .cif and the .cif generated by Refmac. The difference I see between the two files is as follows:

Sketcher  (under List of Monomers)

MOD  MOD 'modified                ' non-polymer        16   9 .

Refmac .cif (under List of Monomers)

MOD      MOD '.                                   ' .                  15   9 .
MOD  MOD 'modified                  ' non-polymer        16   9 .

If I add the extra line to the .cif I generated from Sketcher, it works! I'm glad I've got it running. Cheers! Catherine

Catherine Regni, Ph.D.