Hi Nigel,

You probably already know these issues...

1) The students from  the "another institution" will still need user
accounts and enrolments pre-created in your BB before they can login.
Hence you will need to run snapshots (or some other batch account creation
process) based on a data-feed from the other institutions user/student
system(s).
There is NO "just-in-time" creation of the accounts based on shib
attributes.
So it's kinda just shib for shib's own sake (at this stage) you still need
full system integration with the other institutions user management systems.

2) Internally within Blackboard the usernames of both instructions share the
same space, so there is the potential for username clashes (not with Shib
obviously but with the snapshot to create the user accounts).

3) Web Folders in the CMS do not work for Shib authenticated users

4) Direct access login does not work with shib authentication.

I imagine BB will develop the Shib stuff further at some stage so that
accounts and enrolments can be created based on shib attributes passed at
login time, but that is not the case just yet.

HTH

Cathy Colless
VLE Application Manager
e-Learning Development Team