Too often we forget that anthropology is a holistic discipline…

New From Left Coast Press, Inc. A 15% discount on web orders at www.LCoastPress.com.

Stone Worlds: Narrative and Reflexivity in Landscape Archaeology

Barbara Bender; Sue Hamilton; Chris Tilley

Published October 2007, 304 pages, $89.00 cloth

Too often we forget that anthropology is a holistic discipline.  The stories we tell in archaeology should be about all sides of the story, not a single tale told from a particular theoretical perspective or focusing solely on one primary line of evidence.  This presentation represents an attempt to capture the holism that is often neglected in our discipline.  You will be drawn into this story; it is convincing and compelling while retaining its archaeological integrity.  It is representative of the way archaeological research should be presented.

This book represents an innovative experiment in presenting the results of a large-scale, multidisciplinary archaeological project, a radical new model for the traditional site report.  It is a project that involves archaeologists and cultural anthropologists.  It also involves sociological surveys and art projects.  Working across disciplinary boundaries, this team examined the Neolithic and Bronze Age landscapes on Bodmin Moor of Southwest England, especially the site of Leskernick.  The result is a multivocal telling of the stories of Bodmin Moor—both ancient and modern—using a large number of literary genres and academic disciplines. In a break from the traditional research report in archaeology, dialogue, storytelling, poetry, photo essays and museum exhibits all appear in the volume, as well as contributions from archaeologists, anthropologists, sociologists, geologists, ecologists, and museologists.

This is a substantial presentation of a groundbreaking project.  We struggle with seeking ways to draw broader audiences into archaeology, especially for items as mundane as a site report.  The authors of Stone Worlds have found an enticing, literary answer.

To order, visit our website at:

http://www.lcoastpress.com/book.php?id=40

ISBN:  978-1-59874-218-3 (c), 978-1-59874-219-0 (p)

PRICE:

$89.00 (U.S.), $108.00 (Canadian), £46.99 (Cloth)

$39.95 (U.S.), $47.95 (Canadian), £20.99 (Cloth)

For more information, contact Caryn Berg at [log in to unmask]