HI. Sandor bokonyi long ago listed the measurement differences for wild and domestic pigs. It was published posthumously by Laszlo Bartosiewicz.  I believe the reference is

Bökönyi, Sandor 1995  Problems with using osteological materials of wild animals for comparisons in archaeozoology. Anthrop.Közl. 373-11.

Best

Haskel

From: Analysis of animal remains from archaeological sites [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Sylvia Warman
Sent: November-16-07 2:48 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [ZOOARCH] wild boar / domestic pig differentiation on molar tooth

Hi Jennifer,

Yes you would be correct.

Sylvia

Sylvia Warman

Environmental Officer

Cotswold Archaeology

Building 11

Kemble Enterprise Park

Cirencester

Gloucestershire

GL7 6BQ

T: 01285 771022

F: 01285 771033

E: [log in to unmask]

W: www.cotswoldarch.org.uk

From: Analysis of animal remains from archaeological sites [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Jennifer Thoms
Sent: 15 November 2007 16:25
To: [log in to unmask]

Hello folks,

I have most of the enamel of a mandibular second molar from a pig / wild boar.  Am I correct in thinking I cannot distinguish between the wild and domesticated animals on this evidence alone?  This is the only bone retrieved from intertidal peat deposits in the west of Scotland, other evidence suggests Mesolithic activity.

Thanks for any advice,

Jennifer

This message has been scanned by MailController.