We still have tickets available for this seminar, and have reduced the
price of tickets for students to 30 pounds.  This really is a great
opportunity to hear some world-class speakers, including Prof. Bruno
Messerli (Past President of the IGU, RGS Gold Medal winner) and Prof.
Wilfried Haeberli (Director of the World Glacier Monitoring Service).
The seminar should be of particular interest to staff and students
concerned with glaciology, hydrology, and environmental/climate change -
I would be grateful if you could forward this message to relevant
people.

I also attach a poster, and would be very grateful if you could put it
up.

With many thanks in advance,

Martin Price

*****************

Summits of Learning: 150 Years of Mountaineering, Mountains, and
Science

Swiss Embassy, London, Tuesday 4 December 2007, 10.00-16.00

This public seminar is part of the celebrations of the 150th
anniversary of The Alpine Club.  Its aim is to celebrate how
mountaineers and scientists have increased our knowledge of mountain
regions since The Alpine Club was founded in 1857.  Mountaineers - both
British and foreign - have made many important contributions to our
understanding of mountain environments and their people.  Much of this
research has had global significance, e.g., in medicine, glaciology and,
more recently, in contributing to our understanding of climate change
and its impacts.

The international cast of speakers comes from Austria, Switzerland, the
UK, and the USA.  The introductory keynote will be by Ed Douglas, on
'Cathedrals or Laboratories? Mountains, Science, and the Alpine Club'.
The topics of the following presentations will include climate change
and its impacts on glaciers, rock walls and plants; changes in the Mount
Everest region; the global role of mountains as 'water towers'; mountain
medicine; and how mountain science has driven mountain policy.  Speakers
include Wilfried Haeberli (University of Zurich), Bruno Messerli and
Rolf Weingartner (University of Berne), Harald Pauli (University of
Vienna), Alton Byers (The Mountain Institute), and Jim Milledge.

The seminar has been organised by Professor Martin Price, at the Centre
for Mountain Studies, Perth College-UHI.  For further information, go to
http://www.cms.uhi.ac.uk/conferences/ac150/ac150.htm

Tickets (including lunch) are *30 for students, *40 for Alpine Club
members, and *50 for others.  They are available from Angela Paterson at
the Centre for Mountain Studies, Perth College - UHI, Crieff Road, Perth
PH1 2NX; 01738-877761; [log in to unmask]

***************

Prof. Martin Price
Director, Centre for Mountain Studies
Perth College
UHI Millennium Institute
Crieff Road
Perth PH1 2NX, UK
Tel: +44 (0) 1738-877217
Fax: +44 (0) 1738-877018
www.cms.uhi.ac.uk

UHI Millennium Institute:
'Creating the University of the Highlands and Islands'

"UHI is partnership of colleges and research institutions working
together
to form a university of the Highlands and Islands.

If your email contains a request for information that you feel may fall
under the
Freedom of Information (Scotland) Act please visit our FOI websites.

For Perth College UHI  at this URL
http://www.perth.ac.uk/Freedom_of_Information/

For Inverness College UHI at this URL
http://www.inverness.uhi.ac.uk/defaultpage121bc1.aspx?pageID=162

This email, and any files transmitted with it, is confidential and
intended solely
for the use of the individual or entity to whom it is addressed.
It is your responsibility to carry out virus and other such checks as
you consider appropriate. "

Miss Maria Constantinou
Secretary/Receptionist
Department of Geography