Query about print runs etc.
Hi Finn,

The good people on the SHARP-list would be able to give you the best answer. I agree with Peter S. that entering the world print runs and sales--especially sales--means one enters into muddy waters, as sometimes it is in the publisher's interest to misrepresent the figures. I'm not aware of any central resource, though in the pre-Internet days of the 20C you had such things as Books in Print, with information about current publications for book sellers. For earlier periods, a good starting point (for a good, dry read) is Simon Eliot, Some Patterns and Trends in British Publishing, 1800-1919 (Occasional Papers of the Bibliographical Society 8, 1994). Also, individual author bibliographies sometimes have information about print runs.

Wim

From: The list of the European Society for Textual Scholarship and the Society for Textual Scholarship [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Fordham Finn
Sent: 30 November 2007 14:21
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Query about print runs etc.

Dear List,

Is anyone aware of how one finds out about print runs and sales?  Is there a resource that has centralised information on this for books since, say, 1800?

Is this more a book history question than a question of textual scholarship? If so, should I go ask another List?

Thanks in advance.

Finn Fordham

-----
Dr Finn Fordham
Lecturer in English Studies
School of English Studies
University of Nottingham
University Boulevard
Nottingham NG7 2RD

This message has been checked for viruses but the contents of an attachment may still contain software viruses, which could damage your computer system: you are advised to perform your own checks. Email communications with the University of Nottingham may be monitored as permitted by UK legislation.