A friendly reminder to SHARP-ists about this forthcoming event (and the
related survey) - details below.

There are a few free spaces available for undergraduate (or recently
graduated) students who would be willing to participate in the student
roundtable; if you have a student who has encountered book history in their
studies and who might be interested in attending, please let me know as soon
as possible.

Many thanks,

Ian Gadd
------------------------

[Please cross-post]

ONE-DAY SYMPOSIUM:
Teaching the history of the book to undergraduates

Saturday 8 December 2007
Institute of English Studies, London

Organisers: Dr Ian Gadd, Dr Aileen Fyfe, Dr John Hinks, Dr Cathy Shrank and
Professor Simon Eliot

History of the book, long the preserve of the graduate seminar, is beginning
to find its way into the undergraduate curriculum, as tutors find that the
questions history of the book raises, the methodologies it uses, and the
perspectives it provides are increasingly useful to their students. Yet, how
can something so interdisciplinary < that is taught in departments of
history, English, media studies, publishing and elsewhere < and so material
< that needs access to books and archives < make its way successfully into
the undergraduate classroom? What disciplinary, institutional, pedagogical,
and intellectual problems does it encounter? And what are the possible
implications for history of the book as a field or mode of enquiry?

This one-day symposium, the first of its kind in the UK, brings together
scholars from a variety of disciplines and universities, research
librarians, and undergraduate students to debate these questions and to
share experiences and good practice. We hope that it will be of interest to
anyone involved in, or thinking about becoming involved in, teaching the
history of the book.

The conference programme and registration form is available at
http://ies.sas.ac.uk/events/conferences/2007/BookHist/index.htm

Registration is £30 (£20 concessions) and covers refreshments, but not
lunch.

On the website, there is also information about a survey of Book History
teaching in the UK and Ireland. We've already received a good number of