I'm not sure what would cause this.  Are the .hdr files OK?  Can SPM or any
other package be used to display the images?  Is there anything unusual about
the disk you have the images on?  Does it work if you quit MATLAB and try it
again?  Here are the reasons that the documentation about memory mapping
gives for failures, and I'm not sure which of these corresponds most closely
to your error message.

       EBADF  fd is not a valid file descriptor  (and  MAP_ANONY­
              MOUS was not set).

       EACCES A file descriptor refers to a non-regular file.  Or
              MAP_PRIVATE was requested, but fd is not  open  for
              reading.    Or   MAP_SHARED   was   requested   and
              PROT_WRITE is set, but fd is not open in read/write
              (O_RDWR)  mode.  Or PROT_WRITE is set, but the file
              is append-only.

       EINVAL We don't like start or length  or  offset.   (E.g.,
              they  are  too  large, or not aligned on a PAGESIZE
              boundary.)

       ETXTBSY
              MAP_DENYWRITE was set but the object  specified  by
              fd is open for writing.

       EAGAIN The  file  has  been locked, or too much memory has
              been locked.

       ENOMEM No memory is available, or  the  process's  maximum
              number of mappings would have been exceeded.

       ENODEV The  underlying  filesystem  of  the specified file
              does not support memory mapping.

Best regards,
-John