Hi Lilly

We always put a capsule on the right side of the head cradle, close to
but not on the subject's head, and it is very reassuring to have
confirmation that the image transformations are getting left and right
correct! Of course it does not show up in EPI's. I think we use a fish
or flax oil gel capsule.

Best wishes,
Paul

Lilly Mujica-Parodi wrote:
> Is there a good physical method (Vitamin E?) to mark one side as the
> left one, once and for all?
> Lilly
>
> On 11/7/07, DRC SPM <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
>> Hi Manish,
>>
>> A couple of quick comments:
>>
>> The terms radiological and neurological are best reserved for display
>> conventions and not for image storage conventions or voxel-world
>> mappings. See e.g. this (confusing!) thread on the FSL list:
>>   http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A2=ind0710&L=FSL&P=64450
>> and their FAQ entry, which gives precise mathematical definitions (but
>> not universally known or accepted ones...) for the two terms:
>>   http://www.fmrib.ox.ac.uk/fslfaq/#general_lr
>>
>> If you use NIfTI images, with SPM5, using a good DICOM to NIfTI
>> converter (e.g. SPM5's own, or dcm2nii, MRIConvert, etc., but NOT
>> DICOM to Analyze to NIfTI!) and any other software you use is also
>> NIfTI compatible (e.g. MRIcron not MRIcro), then things should be a
>> great deal easier.
>>
>> Best,
>> Ged
>>

>> On 06/11/2007, Manish Dalwani <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>>
>>> Hello SPM'ers,
>>>
>>> It's quiet amazing the trivial left right orientation is always such an
>>> issue.
>>>
>>> Here is my recent experience working on my data and need some advice:
>>> NOTE: The analyze.flip was turned on as "1" in SPM2 default file .
>>> The raw functional data I collect are in radiological format. When I
>>> reorient them (i.e. just align WITH the anterior commissure), it flips(which
>>> was quiet a surprise)....so now it is in neurological format. Normalize
>>> flips it again, and now it's back to radiological. I spent a whole day,
>>> making sure if I have consistent orientations for all my subjects as I mark
>>> the right side of my anatomicals (thank god).
>>>
>>> The smoothed normalized functional images are in radiological format.  I ran
>>> the stats group analyses and I assumed that it stays radiological. Just to
>>> check, I changed the anaylze.flip to "0" and ran the stats again. The
>>> statmaps were flipped. My question is knowing that my final smoothed
>>> normalized functionals are in Radiological format, which results should I
>>> now believe in ? Why would group analyses flip the images?
>>>
>>> Kindly advise.
>>>
>>> Manish Dalwani
>>> Sr. PRA,
>>> Dept. of Psychiatry