Hi Joe,
	Yes, you are right we are discussing different things (sorry for the
confusion).  Let me answer this message, then I would suggest you, I and
todd take it off the SPM list, since this discussion is not related to SPM
and I feel bad cluttering up everyone else's e-mails.  ;-)

GIFT only does spatial ICA....and the terminology is as follows:

X = data matrix
A = mixing matrix (BOLD timecourse)
S = source image matrix

X ~= A*S;

GIFT forces the maximal value in S to be positive and if this requires a
sign change it is applied to A as well.  But that's not really important
here.  Since A*S approximates X, you can always tell the sign of the BOLD
changes by looking at a specific voxel in a given source image...if that
voxel is positive, then the BOLD signal change looks like the timecourse in
the A matrix...if the voxel is negative, then the BOLD signal change is
anti-correlated to the A matrix. In Todd's case it does look like a signal
decrease, however it's hard for me to tell since I don't know where the
spikes are, hence I suggested he apply his SPM design matrix to quantify
whether the A matrix is positively or negatively correlated to the spikes.

Hope this helps,

Vince