May I suggest Anthony Mortimer’s translations of Petrarch and the introduction he wrote for it – Canzoniere. Selected Poems (Penguin Classics, 2002)? I see he published also in 2002 Petrarch’s Canzoniere in the English Renaissance, which I haven’t read, but would bet is good. He’s a good poet, with a gift for poetic translation.

Penny.

From: Sidney-Spenser Discussion List [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of lipke
Sent: 17 November 2007 00:35
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Petrarchism and Christianity

Has anybody teased out any relationships between Petrarchism and Christianity in the Early Modern Period?  Is there an argument that they were oppositional movements/beliefs/philosophical systems or that they simply ran in tandem?  Can anyone recommend some reading I might find useful?  Somebody suggested C.S. Lewis. The Allegory of Love.  I’ve read that but didn’t find it very helpful.

Thanks!

Ian Lipke