There's an excellent and too-little known complete verse translation, of
the Rerum vulgarium fragmenta (aka Canzoniere) by James Wyatt Cook. I
will confess an interest, I wrote the Introduction, which is
comprehensive. At the time of its appearance (MRTS, 1995) Robert L.
Montgomery wrote a very positive review in Renaissance Quarterly. Cook's
translation is not only a good one by a translator with a poetic gift,
but has the Contini text of the Italian on facing pages which makes it
ideal  for students and teachers alike. Followers of this thread might
be interested to know that the MLA has a forthcoming guide in their
"Teaching" series called "Teaching Petrarch's Canzoniere", edited by
Christopher Kleinhenz. Again I confess an interest -- I wrote the essay
on the design of the Canzoniere, which ranges well beyond some of the
titles mentioned in this discussion. This volume has been "about to be
published" for a couple of years, and I hope it appears soon. Germaine

Germaine Warkentin // English (Emeritus)
VC 205, Victoria College (University of Toronto),
73 Queen's Park Crescent East, Toronto, Ont. M5S 1K7, CANADA
[log in to unmask]	  (fax number on request)