Dear List,

            The Muse/inspiration question as discussed by Ian and by Jim
(inspiration/ poet's identity) may be connected via sexual imagery and the
poet's experience (the imagery would hardly have imposed itself if the
feeling was not felt) to religious experience like Donne's and St.
Theresa's. The contrary pulls of 'opening' oneself to an experience, and
actively creating something or actively responding, in the same act, are
common to both. And it may be trans-historical: Marlowe's Muse appears
masculine, as one might expect (opening Chorus to Faustus, 'our muse . . his
heavenly verse'). Adrienne Rich writes the extraordinary poem Orion as she
works out a new identity and orientation (sexual), in which Orion is first
half-brother to the poet, then the poet almost 'becomes' the cold star, and
finally seems to take the man's role in some kind of 'ravishment'. This two
poems before The Demon Lover, who is the most dangerous 'other' - the
same-sex lover.

Hopkins's 'The fine delight that fathers thought' (a bit Richard II-like,
with mind as mother). I could go on. Or give a snap conclusion: every poet
must be a hermaphrodite.

Penny.