Hi
Regarding facebook - I suspect plenty of people on this list are members...
I am and use it to keep in touch with friends across the UK and abroad - not work related at all and I use my home email... It's esp good for sharing and commenting on photos.  I suspect people would be reluctant to mix work and home life though.  That said I hope the National science week group goes well.. I don't have anything do with Science week in my current role.

Re Facebook generally - If anyone is considering joining facebook and worried about privacy you just change the settings to 'only my friends' see and either have a non-recognisable photo or something representing you (one of my pals has dolphins as her picture)...and don't join a regional network.  And if someone wants to be your friend that you don't know - just ignore it...   I'm lucky as I have such a common name I am pretty hard to find.

I hope this helps.

Best wishes,

Rebecca Jones
Co-ordinator Institute of Health Sciences
www.manchester.ac.uk/ihs
Tel:  0161 275 7657