Anny,

As I was leaving the American Film Institute tonight after viewing a very
strong film ("The Man From London") by the major Hungarian director Bela
Tarr, I noticed the poster for Daniele Luchetti's "My Brother Is An Only
Child" promotes that film by declaring that it's written by the duo who
wrote "The Best Of Youth".

Barry

On Wed, 14 Nov 2007 10:51:35 +0100, Anny Ballardini
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Excellent point Barry, Marco Tullio Giordana is quite a good movie
director.
>He was here in town some years ago, much slimmer than on the pic they
>reproduce on the net. Of the several movies we watched on that occasion I
>can remember *Pasolini, un delitto all'italiana*; quite a good movie, at
>least that is what I thought at the time. I can also remember another movie
>that stuck with me, it was shot in Brazil and talked of kids raised to be
>snipers but I cannot remember the title.
>I didn't watch *Best of Youth* and I might, since you are suggesting people
>should. I also like your poetic composing on it.
>
>On Nov 14, 2007 7:49 AM, Barry Alpert <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
>> Anny,
>>
>> When I learned of the screening at the American Film Institute in Silver
>> Spring, MD of Marco Tullio Giordana's "Best of Youth" and that it had
been
>> made originally for Italian television, I was skeptical enough to skip
it.
>> However, purely by chance a friend rented the dvd and I found Kenneth
>> Turan's rave review.  So I decided to watch it, in a manner resembling
the
>> theatrical presentations, for three hours on each of two consecutive
days.
>> It was indeed very impressive.  Here's Kenneth Turan's essay:
>>

>> http://www.calendarlive.com/movies/turan/cl-et-
youth18mar18,2,2413402.story