Douglas Barbour wrote:
> Speaking of which, this column, by Johann Hari, 'Why do we ignore the
> abuse of women?,' is pertinent:
>
> http://comment.independent.co.uk/commentators/johann_hari/article3160616.ece

Another interesting aspect to this: Mailer's championing of Jack Henry
Abbott, author of a bunch of letters about his experiences in prison
collected as"In the Belly of the Beast," lauded by Mailer in the NY
Times the same morning that Abbott had been arrested for stabbing to
death a New York restaurant waiter.  Remanded to prison for life, Abbott
hanged himself in 2002.

Based on Hari's comments: what if Mailer had knifed another man at his
party instead of "merely" his wife?  I wonder now if law and literary
establishments would have been so solicitous of Mailer and almost
incensed at his victim.

Ken

Kenneth Wolman

"I agree with the Chekhov character who, when in a crisis, he is
reminded that 'this, too, shall pass,' responds 'Nothing
passes.'"--Philip Roth