From: A list to facilitate discussion between personal tutors [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Paula Hixenbaugh
Sent: 13 November 2007 13:28
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: FW: Second International Conference on Personal Tutoring and Academic Advising

Hello,

I can understand the concern about travelling to the USA.  Perhaps a little background would help shed a little light on the current situation.  Five years ago, a few of us at the University of Westminster who were concerned about the importance of personal tutoring thought it would be useful to get together people from across the sector to share ideas.  We approached the HEA with this idea and they agreed to support the first conference by admin support, advertising, bookings etc.  We thought there would be a small group interested in attending.  In the event, we had over 130 and had to turn some away.HEA continued to support personal tutoring.   For our second conference, we invited NACADA to participate and to provide a keynote speaker.  This led to discussions about holding joint conferences.  All concerned thought this would be an excellent idea in order to learn from each other.  This was realised last year with the first international conference (the previous two had been national conferences).  All of the people I have talked to about the Edinburgh conference agree that it was a great success.  It is therefore surprising that the HEA decided that personal tutoring was NOT one of the areas that they were going to support.  What this means is that this year we have no official backing from HEA for the conference - indeed if it were taking place in this country there would be NO conference at all!  Individuals within the HEA have been excellent in providing some advertising etc to help participation at the Pittsburgh conference.

I think we have clear evidence that personal tutoring is an important topic within higher education. Although an excellent idea to participate with FETN, I do think that many of the issues are different in HE.  I feel very strongly that we should have a national annual event - this does not need to take the place of an international event.  If others feel the same way, I would urge you to contact the HEA and request that they support personal tutoring events in next year's budget.  Meanwhile our association with NACADA means that we can have a conference this year.  For those of you able to attend, I look forward to seeing you in Pittsburgh.

Best wishes,
Professor Paula Hixenbaugh
University of Westminster