Dear all,

We would like to draw your attention to an upcoming one-day workshop on the applications of synchrotron and neutron radiation techniques in the earth sciences. The workshop will take place on 11 January 2008 at the Diamond synchrotron facility in Oxfordshire and will feature talks from experienced users and members of staff of both the Diamond synchrotron and ISIS neutron facilities. The workshop is particularly aimed at students and researchers new to the techniques offered by these facilities and a facility tours will be available. A list of topics covered can be found below.

We believe this workshop will be an invaluable to gain an overview of many of the new and established techniques available to earth scientists. Registration forms and further information is available online (http://www.esc.cam.ac.uk/minphys/diamond_workshop/) and the deadline for registration is 15 December. Please bring this event to the attention of any students or colleagues who you think would benefit from attending the meeting. An A4 poster advertising the event can be downloaded from http://www.esc.cam.ac.uk/minphys/diamond_workshop/poster.pdf. It would be great if you would consider displaying this in your department.

We are limited to a total of 50 participants, so to avoid disappointment you are encouraged to register early. The workshop is sponsored by the Mineral Physics Group of the Mineralogical Society, a registration fee of 10 pounds will help cover the costs of refreshments and lunch. Topics covered include: experiments at extreme conditions; microfocus X-ray spectroscopy (XANES and EXAFS); neutron and X-ray diffraction; neutron spectroscopy; non-crystalline diffraction and magnetism.

Student travel to the workshop will be funded through the Min Soc Mineral Physics Group. Please see the website for an application form.

Best wishes,

Richard Harrison

Dr. Richard Harrison
Department of Earth Sciences