                            Cannock Chase Mining Historical Society
                                          Founded 2002

Hello list

I hope that someone can help me out, I found the reference below and
would like to know if anyone can tell me why wooden strips were inserted
into the long links coal and men alike would be raised in open baskets
(skips or skiffs) or frames by flat chains of 3 links width the links of
which would be alternatively short and long. Through the long links
would be inserted strips of wood

Best Regards

Alan Dean

website = www.ccmhs.co.uk <http://www.ccmhs.co.uk/>

email = [log in to unmask]

The views & opinions contained in this email are
those of the sender named above. They are not the views
& opinions of the Cannock Chase Mining Historical Society,
nor should they be misconstrued as such, unless this
is specifically stated in the contents of the email

"Life is not measured by the breaths we take, but by the moments that
take our breath away."