Constantine was a Roman emperor.  Roman emperors at that period were
recognized by the army &  the Senate  rubber-stamped it.  Constantine
was in Britain at the time with his father, Constantius,  one of the
tetrarchs with Diocletian & married to the daughter of Maximius, another
tetrarch.  When D & M retired -- an amazing act in itself -- Constantius
became augustus.  When he died a year later, his troops proclaimed his
son, Constantine, augustus.   There were assorted jobs of tidying up to
do before the Milvian Bridge thing & becoming sole emperor.  The point
is that emperors were made by the army, not by priests.

DW

Marjorie Greene wrote:

> In a previous post about the anointing of the Christian kings, I specifically mentioned the OT and the desire to imitate that practice. But there seems (and I hope everyone notices that I'm saying "seems") to be a gap between Constantine (was he anointed emperor?) and Charlemagne. Saul was anointed by a prophet; Ch. & Sons, by a pope. So when did the Christian kings/emperors decide it was advisable or necessary to be anointed (in obvious imitation of the OT kings) and why? This question may not be answerable. I'll also point out that at some point in time, "crowned" (or, horrors, "coronated") took precedence in speaking of the event. I bet no one in GB said "Elizabeth was anointed today."
> On quite a different subject, I announce for the too-modest Supple Doctor Bill East that _Follow Me!_ is now available from Dominican Publications, Dublin. Full details on the Dominican Publications website. This is a collection of Bill's homilies through the years.
> MG
> Click to learn how you can earn extra cash in day trading.
> http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL2111/fc/Ioyw6iigD06N6wa4F31VR6bdip92kMKpkiy2tQZmkBZI0RlzAIQE4T/

> to: [log in to unmask]
> to: [log in to unmask]

to: [log in to unmask]