On Saturday, November 3, 2007, at 5:28 pm, Marjorie Greene wrote:

> Diana wrote:
> It looks as if anointing came into the
> process with Basil I (867).
>
> Again, the 9th c. What was it about the 9th c.?

If that's in fact when it came in.  Basil I may be merely the first basileus whose anointing is recorded.  The oldest surviving euchologion of the Byzantine Rite, the later eighth-century Barberini Euchologium (BAV, Barberinianus graecus 336), includes a coronation ritual in which the patriarch prays that the emperor be anointed with oil.  Whether an actual anointing followed is neither confirmed nor excluded by the text.  See the discussion in Leslie Brubaker, _Vision and Meaning in Ninth-Century Byzantium_ (Cambridge University Press, 1999), pp. 187-88.  According to Brubaker (loc. cit.), Byzantine references to imperial anointing are rare.

Best,
John Dillon

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]