I have five non-native students taking GCSE in 2004 after three years from year 9 – year 11 and four achieved A*, one was one percent from A*. I have twelve students going to take GCSE this coming summer and I expect them to do very well. The students have two and half hours of lesson time each week and it should be enough to bring anyone non-natives to GCSE level, in my opinion. We use GCSE for Chinese.

We are a little too negative ourselves, sometimes!

Yan

From: Mandarin Chinese Teaching [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of ru lan
Sent: 2007
1128 22:07
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Mission Impossible?

Hello Everyone,

My school is planning to introduce Mandarin up to GCSE level. I was asked if I could take Year 9 pupils from beginner's level to GCSE in 3 to 3.5 years. My initial response is it will be very difficult and it might be impossible even the kids are very bright (a selective school with very outstanding GCSE and A Level results). At the moment I am investigating if this is a difficult mission but achievable, or simply an impossible mission.

As far as I know, it normally takes around 4 to 5 years to take beginners to GCSE level. Kids from a Chinese background can take shorter time while non-native speakers will take longer. Definitely, I will get more teaching hours (at least 4 lessons per week) and select students based on their language capability, enthusiasm and study skills. I will also try to keep the class size to around 10.

Could you please voice your opinion?

I would also like to know how GCSE Mandarin is taught in your school in terms of years taken, number of lessons, selection of students, class size, text books etc.

Thank you for your help!

Lan Ru

This message contains confidential information solely for its intended recipient(s).   If you are not an intended recipient, please inform us immediately by email to [log in to unmask].   If you are not an intended recipient you must delete this email, and all copies thereof, and may not forward it or otherwise disclose its contents to any third party.    For further information please visit us at www.cheltladiescollege.org.

The Cheltenham Ladies' College is incorporated by Royal Charter and is a Charity.  Registration No. 311722   Our address is  Bayshill Road, Cheltenham, Gloucestershire  GL50 3EP