Hello Everyone,

My school is planning to introduce Mandarin up to GCSE level. I was asked if I could take Year 9 pupils from beginner's level to GCSE in 3 to 3.5 years. My initial response is it will be very difficult and it might be impossible even the kids are very bright (a selective school with very outstanding GCSE and A Level results). At the moment I am investigating if this is a difficult mission but achievable, or simply an impossible mission.

As far as I know, it normally takes around 4 to 5 years to take beginners to GCSE level. Kids from a Chinese background can take shorter time while non-native speakers will take longer. Definitely, I will get more teaching hours (at least 4 lessons per week) and select students based on their language capability, enthusiasm and study skills. I will also try to keep the class size to around 10.

Could you please voice your opinion?

I would also like to know how GCSE Mandarin is taught in your school in terms of years taken, number of lessons, selection of students, class size, text books etc.

Thank you for your help!

Lan Ru