No.  Although (according to the almost omniscient David Crystal in his
excellent Cambridge Encyclopedia of Language) well over half of the
world's languages are 'tone' languages, English definitely isn't one of
them.  (Actually I seem to remember hearing some other linguist on the
radio saying that only about a third of the world's languages were tone
languages, but let that pass.  Does anyone out there know for a fact
who's right?)

We do have intonation patterns, and English (like German) is heavily
stressed: but it's NOT a tone language, since changing the tone of a
syllable doesn't by itself completely alter the meaning of a word.
(This is not to deny that changing the intonation can subtly affect the
IMPLIED meaning of an utterance, as any student at Drama College can
tell you.)

Sorry.  I'd advise coming clean with your students and putting the
record straight.  They'll respect you all the more for caring enough to
want to disabuse them of this error, and for being honest enough to
admit that you were wrong.  (I'm constantly having to do that with my
pupils, who often know more about some subjects than I do!)

Kevin Maynard