Regarding PK usage in China

I asked my friend what PK means. My friend, who is the editor of a city evening post, replied as the following:

PK是在游戏里面经常出现的,大概是player kill,这是诸多说法中的一种,就是厮杀中要去掉一个人的意思。超女的比赛当中,每个环节都会PK,一到这个环节,就有一些漂亮的妹妹哭成泪人儿,台上哭,台下更哭,粉丝哭晕过去。

成都人幽默,有人把这样说PK的意思,说PK就是爬开的意思,太妙了,非常传神。

From: Mandarin Chinese Teaching [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of JinLifeng
Sent: 23 November 2007 08:32
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Please Teach

Just a few things coming up to my mind when i reading all the emails about PK.

First, as my gaming experience (as a MA student just graduated, 22), the word PK appeared and got known by me long before World of Warcraft (which appeared in that essay a lot.) It appeared 7 to 8 years ago on computer magazines and gaming books, meaning Player Kill. Then, I can recall, that online games (or MMORPGs) did not usually allow player to kill another player. When someone did kill another, he would be 'wanted' and everybody could kill him on sight. So there was some kind of penalty system to control PKing. As MMORPGs evolved, the restrictions on Player Kill gradually loosened, and new contents have been designed to encourage players to fight against players. Therefore when PKing did not yield penalty, the action or the word itself was not important any more. In the west, the word became obscure somehow, and got replaced by PvP (player versus player) as opposed to PvE (player versus environment); but in china, the meaning changed to 'duel' as it is commonly used today (Consider that most players regard killing someone on 1 versus 1 situation to be skillful and 'leet', it is not that hard to understand why it means duel now.). Super Girl Chaoji nusheng did a great job promoting this word.

Second, online communities, especially game communities do use a lot of shortened English words. Take the expansion of WoW for example. Because in Europe and America, it was released 10 months earlier than in China, before it was finally released in China all the discussions about the new contents in the game on the BBS (online forums) were carried out with a lot of English abbreviations. For example, a spell called Mangle was called 'Mang guo'(the chinese for mango) before the release and now Lie shang (broken wound) now. A zone called Gruul's Lair was called GL before, but now is GLR (Ge Lu Er, the Chinese transliteration for gruul). Karazhan was called kara before, but now KLZ.
The examples show that terms from English will be replaced by Chinese terms, but that is not the case for other abbreviations. Compare the names for areas in the original game which is now some 3 years old.

English Name     Official Chinese Translation                   Name used by Chinese gamers
Molten Core      Rongyan Zhi Xin (Heart of molten rock)         MC
Anh'Qiraj        An Qi La (transliteration)                     AQ
Blackwing's Lair Heiyi Zhi Chao (the lair of the black wing)    BWL
Naxxramas        Na Ke Sa Ma Si (transliteration)               NAXX
Silithus         Xi Li Su Si (transliteration)                  XLSS

As one can see, only the last name is from official Chinese name, others are all English abbreviations. Why? I dont have a clue. It may need more research.

Regards,

Lifeng Jin

> Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2007 00:00:00 +0000
> From: [log in to unmask]
> Subject: Re: Please Teach
> To: [log in to unmask]
>
> And in Hong Kong, this acronymn is used as a derogatory word/mild profanity ... So if 'PK' is used with Hong Kong students, you may get a chuckle or two in the classroom ... But being youngsters, they most likely won't mind ...
> __________________________
> Linda Wu
> Director
> Gowell Software Limited
> Suite 1312, Taiyau Building
> 181 Johnston Road
> Wanchai, Hong Kong
> t +852 2730 7121
> f +852 2730 7127
>
> www.gowell.com
> www.gochinese.net

Windows Live Spaces 展示个性自我,与好友分享生活! 了解更多信息!