There are National Curriculum level guides for reading (AT3) and writing (AT4) in the back of the National Curriculum document for Modern Foreign Languages.

The basic skills remain the same as other MFL. The only one which is really different is Level 5 (all skills) and the three tense issue (present, past, future) but that actually works in the favour of our students as it is much easier in Chinese than say French or German.

The average student is as follows for each year group: Year 7 should be aiming for level 2/3; Year 8 should be aiming for level 3/4 and Year 9 should be aiming for level 5/6. This is based on students starting in Year 7. Adjust accordingly if they have started later.

Hope that is helpful.

Victoria