From: UK medical/ health care library community / information workers [mailto:[log in to unmask]]On Behalf Of Burgess, Sam
Sent: 16 November 2007 10:11
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Getty Images retrospective charges

Hi,

I am asking this question on behalf of Wiltshire Libraries in Co-operation (WILCO), who have had threatening letters from Getty Images asking for substantial charges for the use of two images on the WILCO website that Getty Images claim they have copyright over. It is my understanding that the images were taken from another source that had no connection with Getty Images and so the webmaster had no idea that the images belonged to anybody let alone Getty Images.

Has anyone else had dealings with Getty over a similar issue and may be able to offer advice?  Also - I am far less familiar with pictorial copyright than standard copyright - do the same rules apply?

Any advice that anyone may be able to offer would be great!

Thanks
Sam

Miss Sam Burgess BA(Hons) MCLIP
Head Librarian

Academy Library and Information Service
Swindon & North Wilts Health & Social Care Academy

NB: As I am deaf, I do NOT use the telephone personally.
But you can contact the Library on 604593 / 6

Find the information you need on the Library Website.

Swindon & Marlborough NHS Trust
Great Western Hospital
Marlborough Road
Swindon
SN3 6BB
Tel 01793 60 40 20

http://www.swindon-marlborough.nhs.uk

This message and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the individual(s) addressed.
If you believe you have received this e-mail in error, disclosing, copying, distributing or retaining this message, or any part of it, is strictly prohibited; please notify the sender immediately and delete it from your system.
Any views or opinions presented are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Swindon & Marlborough NHS Trust.
All messages sent by the Trust are checked for viruses but this does not, and cannot, guarantee that a virus has not been transmitted.
The Trust accepts no liability for any damage caused by any virus transmitted with this e-mail.