Apologies for cross posting

Dear Colleagues,

MLA London, in conjunction with the TATE group, are conducting a skills and knowledge survey of the museums, libraries, and archives sector in London and we invite all London-based organisations and employees to take part.  The survey should take between 20 to 25 minutes complete and there are incentives for organisations and individuals to complete the survey.

The aim of this survey to provide us with a snapshot of the present skills and knowledge within the sector and its workforce. The information you provide will help MLA London to develop a Workforce Development Strategy for 2008 -2011, and to help us plan and deliver a programme of events to meet your, and the sector's future training needs.  The information will also be used to help the TATE group plan for its proposed National Art Collections Centre.

Additionally, we are inviting volunteers within the London sector, and user and non-user groups, to give us their views on the sector and whether there are any skills and knowledge gaps we have at present.

The survey is broken down into four areas:

*	Organisations
*	Workforce
*	Volunteers
*	User and non-user groups

Each area has its own individual survey, with the organisational and workforce surveys being directly comparable.  This will enable us to compare and contrast the skills and knowledge, and the skills and knowledge needs, within both the sectors organisations and its workforce.

For the organisational survey we ask for the lead person in your organisation to complete the survey on behalf of the organisation. The survey is made up of 30 questions and should take around 20 to 25 minutes to complete.   For each complete survey, organisations will be entered into a draw, with one organisation being chosen at random to receive 5 free places on MLA London training events, worth up to £400.

For the workforce survey we ask for individuals within organisations, whether paid or unpaid, to complete the survey informing us of their own skills and knowledge and whether they have any perceived gaps.   The survey is made up of 30 questions and should take around 20 to 25 minutes to complete.  For each completed survey individuals will be entered into a draw, with one individual being chosen at random to receive £100 of John Lewis vouchers.

Although we encourage volunteers to complete the longer workforce survey a shorter volunteer's survey will be available from the end of November.

The user and non-user groups survey will also be in a shorter format and will be available from the end of November.

To make the most of the information we gather from this survey we would ask you to encourage all of your staff, at all levels, to complete the survey.  Once we have collated the results we will share them with yourself and the wider sector.

You may complete the surveys online by clicking on the links below.  If you are experiencing trouble accessing the links below, please email [log in to unmask] or telephone 020 7549 1712.

Alternatively a pdf is available for you download and print off.  Please return any completed paper surveys to Georgina Siddall, MLA London, 4th Floor, 53-56 Great Sutton Street, London EC1V 0DG.

Organisation Skills and Knowledge Survey:

Complete the survey online <http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm=mt5amdiWUORm1tjxbhxT7w_3d_3d>

Download a PDF <http://www.mlalondon.org.uk/uploads/documents/Organisations_Booklet.pdf>

Workforce Skills and Knowledge Survey:

Complete the survey online <http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm=h3rgpWaOBWXsuL1k2tJO_2bA_3d_3d>

Download a PDF <http://www.mlalondon.org.uk/uploads/documents/Workforce_Booklet.pdf>

The survey will be open for 10 weeks, closing on Friday 18th January 2008.

Many thanks in advance for your time,

Paddy McNulty

Paddy McNulty

Workforce Development Co-ordinator

Direct line: 020 7549 1711

Main line: 020 7549 1700

Fax: 020 7490 5225

www.mlalondon.org.uk

MLA London,

Fourth Floor,

53-56 Great Sutton Street,

London EC1V 0DG

P please consider the environment - do you really need to print this email?

MLA London is the strategic regional development agency for museums, libraries and archives in London. We are part of the MLA Partnership. For further information please visit the website at www.mlalondon.org.uk

Legal Disclaimer: The information contained in this e-mail message is intended only for the addressee. If you are not the intended recipient, please note that any dissemination, distribution and copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient please notify the sender immediately and then delete the message and any associated files from your system.

Please note that MLA London is currently in the process of upgrading its contacts database.  We apologise if you have been sent this email in error.

Security Warning: Although this e-mail and its attachments have been screened and are believed to be free from any virus, in all cases it is the responsibility of the recipient to ensure that the e-mail and any associated attachments are virus free. MLA London will not accept liability for any damage caused by a virus.